Sunday, May 22, 2011

Kirsten Cappy and Curious City

I had the enlightening opportunity to meet with Kirsten Cappy of Curious City over frothy coffee, and steamy tea, on Wednesday May 18, 2011 at Borders in South Portland Maine. We sat there, the two of us, her looking chic with a pink flower in her hair and leggings to match, notebook in hand, penning and planning, and me... drinking it all in. It warmed my soul more than any caffeine fix, or creamy chicken soup ever has, or ever could.

I secretly hoped that clocks would break, that time would stand still, because I wanted to devour book speak and marketing ideas with that brilliant wonderful woman all day long. Kirsten Cappy is filled to the very brim with greatness, overflowing with tons of turkey ideas.

I am lucky and blessed to know her, to work with her, and prepare, while gearing up for the release of 10 Turkeys in the Road, due out in September, illustrated by uber-talented, David Slonim, published by Marshall Cavendish.

Stay tuned for all the wonderful marketing ideas that she has, that we'll implement together.

I had anticipated that day for months, penciled in on the calender since January of 2011, but little did Kirsten know that I had longed for a day like that for many years, ever since I began my serious picture book journey in 2004, ever since I started daydreaming about all of it. This dream all began with a school visit when Stacie was 6, who is now 13.

And there I was FINALLY!

My hope for you is this...

...that someday soon, very very soon, it will be you sitting at Borders with Kristen Cappy, sharing coffee, and awesome ideas, for your own beautiful book for kids, and I'll be reading about your adventure on your blog, in the middle of some rainy dark night, while loons shrill on the still moonlit lake, and a new idea forms in the back of my mind.


3 comments:

C.A. Morgan said...

Thank you for thinking of the rest of us still on the road. Until then, blogging provides more immediate gratification...

Lauren F. Boyd said...

Many congrats on your upcoming PB release in September -what an exciting accomplishment! And any marketing ideas that Kirsten shares with you, be sure and post here so the rest of us writers can learn as well! :)

Hope you're doing great (sounds like you are)!

Curious City said...

What a post! What a writer! I am wearing a flower in my hair today in celebration of TEN TURKEYS sweet publication!